Tuesday 26 July 2016

A week of Summer and some small changes.



I decided it would be interesting to start including more posts about my life and the things I have been doing; There is so much going on lately that it seems a waste not to write it down and share it with you all. After spending the Winter in Dubai and the end of Spring traveling throughout Europe it has been a real pleasure to come home to Scotland for the Summer. There is not really much to do here but it is this simple way of life that is such a joy for me. I have been able to focus on my personal aims and objectives and I feel I am progressing more than ever before. 

I will still post about Interiors and decoration as much as possible, however I really have to find something fascinating to write about otherwise I don't feel I can give my all to the topic. This is largely the main reason why my posts are so sporadic! You will see from my feature about Villa Windsor that this is the kind of thing that gets me excited, sadly it is a rare occasion.

It has been such a beautiful week in Scotland. As always the weather has been unpredictable but when the sun shines and the breeze is gentle and warm it is such a tranquil place to enjoy. My plan for the week was to sort out home affairs and try to get back into a routine. After locking the house up for  so long it really needed a spring clean and some love and attention. 


Spring Cleaning in the house made me feel so much more content



I also had a busy time this week conducting interviews to find a new housekeeper. At the risk of sounding too #firstworldproblems, I find it so stressful trying to rely on instinct to hire someone trustworthy who will come into your life and witness the most personal aspects of it. As well as looking after the house, the housekeeper also needs to be a 'nanny' to my Shih Tzu, Sophie, who needs looking after when I am traveling. I am pleased to report that this task has been successful and we will have a new member of staff starting in the next few weeks.

Sophie listening attentively to her potential new Nanny


On Tuesday the sun looked as though it would grace the skies without the hindrance of cloud or rain so I raced out of the house and headed into the small town North Berwick, which is just a ten minute walk from my home. Most people would describe this town as a Village; It is a tiny coastal town filled with independent stores and restaurants. At the heart there is a beautiful garden and park..the perfect place to have an ice cream and enjoy the efforts of the locals who have planted flowers and bulbs with great precision.


The Village Garden looking pretty

Enjoying some warm sunshine


To me there is nothing nicer than starting the morning in the company of Horses. Here in North Berwick we have a fantastic stables where I ride two to three times a week. Its location is the most glorious mixture of countryside and coast and the amazing choice of hacking routes all culminate in a wonderful canter along the beach. My horse absolutely hates to walk but patiently waits until he is instructed to trot and then bolts into a canter after three strides! I suppose you have to appreciate his enthusiasm for life. 

McDuff is always eager to get going..he loves to canter.


Hopetoun House is a 45 minute drive from my home and very close to the City of Edinburgh. After planning to visit since I moved here, I finally did so this week. Sadly it was somewhat of an anticlimax. First impressions are vital and the lack of visual beauty as you drive along the approach to the house is quite disappointing. Two oblongs of grass lawn are the only relief of colour in a sea of grey stone which sets the tone for the rest of the experience.

A canvas of grey stone, although the Georgian Facade is impressive


I hate to moan, but the Interiors of Hopetoun were also a let down. Including the Entrance Hall there are only four rooms that were mildly impressive; The others looked a little worn out and tired and I am usually a sucker for threadbare English style decor. 


The Yellow Drawing Room was my favourite at Hopetoun


The Red Drawing Room


The Dining Room is filled with family portraits


This past weekend has mostly seen rain filled hours with Sophie and I taking refuge indoors. This is when I enjoy looking through all my books, most of which I have pored over a thousand times but still find enchanting. I love nothing more than reading about the way other people live..for my sake I hope you do too.


To see more, follow me on Instagram: @nicolasdepompadour




No comments:

Post a Comment